Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 22:54:35 -0800
From: - o z - <osgo@...mail.com>
To: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: FD subject line/name of org suggestion...

Hi everyone!

Is it just me, or is it normal for everyone else *not* to usually see
the entire exploit notification, e.g.,
subject line in client:

[Full-disclosure] [ GL** #####-0* ] Critical Squirrel Meat Timer v.
371117a Threat to Earth and All Inhabitants
                                                                                                '(cut
  off right about @Meat Timer) [date]'

What has happened over time (10+ years) is that while average desktop
space has grown, font real-estate
has shrunk.   Way more stuff is on-screen.  We're bombarded with even
more info, some of it critical, and yeah,
maybe some of us like to keep current 'cause we live & breath infosec
and have to "kill -s netdev 666" just to
make sense of it all sometimes.  Belay that, nothing, nothing makes
sense there...makes my orange
run like clockwork.   That's it!

Using an informal survey method, most of my peers display FD the same
way....critical version info is usually obscuficated
(or it's something else dearly important...say what you want...the
community is creative with names).

It would be easier on the eyes and achieve a better productivity
metric for my capitalist oppressors if the sub. line read:

[Full-disclosure] Warning goes here xxxxxxxx.xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [good
job, now put your name/date thingy here, right here!]

When my FD mailbox has 1000+ messages, many of them pertaining to
software I'm responsible for, it would make
it easier if the subject line devoted as much space possible for the
'sploit...first....followed by the author's naming convention.

Credit will be remembered no matter what, since if it affects you, it
will be opened.  If it's been a long night or day,
whoa, it's easy to overlook something I shouldn't.   Right now it's
like, "Wow, that was some exploit I saw by
'insert name here and date' -- sure wish I could have read it at one
glance, damn..."

Somebody might be screaming, "Dude, change your settings" -- and
they're right.  I should and do...but still have the same
issue, on a variety of clients -- increasing available subject line
space helps, regardless.  Some org. ID's rent *16!*
characters in the subj. line, and the last five can be a real bitch,
i.e., "v.371117" -- etc.....

Maybe some of 'ya think this is persnickety, and hell, it might be,
it's just the 'best job, least amount of time thing.'
It just makes more sense to me is all, quite unlike my apparent
deteriorating cognitive & grammatical abilities.

-oz