Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 10:02:29 +1300
From: Nick FitzGerald <nick@...us-l.demon.co.uk>
To: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: Bruteforcing HTML and browser-sec to find
	BoF's

Malformed Guy wrote:

> There have been a lot of recent IE exploits and talk of "browser-sec"
> floating around recently and I thought "Hey, what if you made a script
> that actually bruteforced html?" For example a script that spews out
> possible combinations of HTML/ASP/JAVASCRIPT/JAVA/SQL/PHP:

<<snip>>
> Idea was inspired by the Samy worm:
> http://namb.la/popular/tech.html
> "To get around this, some browsers will actually interpret "java\nscript" as "javascript" (that's
> java<NEWLINE>script)."

You're new to this whole scene, right?

You don't think that malware authors often, usually or any other way
reliably come up with most of the ideas in their code do you?

> P.S. Someone tell me this is an awesome idea, else I'll cry like a little girl.

It _is_ a fairly awesome idea.

But you'd better start crying anyway bitch as you've just reinvented a
(rather limited form of) HTML fuzzing.

In various forms, fuzz testing has been around for about 20 years, so I
guess it's understandable you'd have missed discovering that this
approach has already been discovered...

See what Wikipedia has to say about it:

   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuzz_testing

and soak up the history from the original (??) fuzz site:

   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuzz_testing

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald