Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2009 16:52:40 +0200
From: Andreas Bogk <andreas@...reas.org>
To: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: Linux Kernel CIFS Vulnerability

Thierry Zoller wrote:
> AB> Neither the Linux kernel team, the CIFS maintainers nor any of
> AB> the commercial Linux distributors bothered to send out an advisory.
> AB> I'm at loss for words other than "irresponsible, arrogant
> AB> assholes".  Linux 2009 == Microsoft 2002.
> I  second  that,  the  reason is intersintg too; linus considers security
> bugs  as  nothing  else than normal bugs.

I don't mind his policy of "just fixing the bug".  But I do mind when
the changelog doesn't clearly state "hey, we're fixing a security issue
here".

> The door closes slowly
> for Linux in enterprises.

So true, and so sad.  I remember a time when using Linux was giving
actual security benefits over using Windows.  These times are over.

And the security gap between MS and Open Source products will continue
to widen.  The only OS project I know about that seriously tried to
improve fundamental architectural security issues was BitC and CoyotOS.
BitC is a programming language designed to combine the speed of C with
the soundness of strongly typed fundamental languages, thus preventing a
lot of bug classes from the start, and enabling correctness proofs
across the code.  The project won't be finished, since the main author,
Jonathan Shapiro, will soon hold a "fairly senior position" in the
Midori project at MS.

Andreas