Date: Mon, 4 May 2009 22:51:09 -0400
From: T Biehn <tbiehn@...il.com>
To: mbs <mbs@...trealm.com>
Cc: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: Full-disclosure Anti virus installations on
	Windows servers

What are you trying to protect against?
This is of value for targeting 'advice.'

As a server you should be most worried about people popping your box,
now you can eliminate 99.9% of attackers by following a regular patch
schedule. The other .1 is made up of .05 target and .05 known &
unpatched.
.1 might be skewed one way or the other depending on your value as a
target, but I think you get the point.

A/V is worthless in most targeted attacks, the only worthwhile a/v in
these are those that have good heuristic analysis and/or prevent
against rootkits. Their value is dubious at best.
In this case (and why i suggested it in the first place) something
like eEye Blink is the only TYPE OF beneficial product you can get. It
logically analyzes whatever protocols it understands and looks for
'out of bound' type patterns. Has a library of known shellcode that it
matches against. Claims to prevent rootkit / exploits via some API
hooking voodoo, and a bunch of other bull you can only get from
reading the marketing boilerplate on their homepage.

As with *nix / BSD you're only as good as your sysadmin, you should
read through the various security settings you have available. Maybe
you want to read NSA's secure XP scripts? Try to implement a solid EFS
policy on your windows box to enforce read permissions against SYSTEM
and other admin accounts, this will reduce any damage possible from a
compromised box (however you cannot trust the security of EFS if
there's any attacker on your OS w/ admin privs because they have
access to your memory bits).

Check this wacky scenario: Set up nix inside a VM running inside your
windows server. Use the nix box as a reverse proxy to your windows
box. This should give you some lead time, and will piss off (once they
get to the container OS)\scare off(holy shit it's a vmware honeypot)
whomever is attacking you.

The absolute worst thing you can do is ask a bunch of people on FD what to do.

-Travis