Date: Fri, 05 Jun 2009 09:34:34 -0700
From: "Chris Weber" <chris@...abasec.com>
To: "'Thierry Zoller'" <Thierry@...ler.lu>,
	"'Arian J. Evans'" <arian.evans@...chronic.com>
Cc: 'Prasad Shenoy' <prasad.shenoy@...il.com>,
	'Full-Disclosure' <full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk>,
	'3APA3A' <3APA3A@...urity.nnov.ru>, websecurity@...appsec.org
Subject: Re: [WEB SECURITY] Re[2]: [WEB SECURITY] Unicode
 Left/Right Pointing Double Angel Quotation Mark bypass?

Sorta, kinda, not really.  From the outside looking in, the inputs can help
us understand what's happening under the covers:

1. Some Java, .Net, ICU API is performing string Normalization
2. Some API or data handoff (e.g. from IIS front-end to Oracle db) is
performing an (otherwise unintended) best-fit mapping
3. Some developer chose to do transform strings in a custom way

White Hat's in a good position to go to these customers, ask them if they
can peek at the code, and gather information about which frameworks API's
they were using, and how they were calling them.  That's what I'd do with
this information.  Although, we already know how most of the major
frameworks behave.

Chris