Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 21:30:18 -0500
From: Nicolas Valcárcel Scerpella
	<nicolas.valcarcel@...onical.com>
To: laurent gaffie <laurent.gaffie@...il.com>
Cc: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: WordPress <= 2.8.3 Remote admin reset	password

I don't see the issue with wp 2.7.1

On Mon, 10 Aug 2009, laurent gaffie wrote:

> Errata:
>
> "V. BUSINESS IMPACT
> -------------------------
> An attacker could exploit this vulnerability to compromise the admin account
> of any wordpress/wordpress-mu <= 2.8.3"
>
> -->
>
> "V. BUSINESS IMPACT
> -------------------------
> An attacker could exploit this vulnerability to reset the admin account of
> any wordpress/wordpress-mu <= 2.8.3"
>

> Regards Laurent Gaffié
>

> 2009/8/10 laurent gaffie <laurent.gaffie@...il.com>

> > - Release date: August 10th, 2009
> > - Discovered by: Laurent Gaffié
> > - Severity: Medium
> >
> > I. VULNERABILITY
> > -------------------------
> > WordPress <= 2.8.3 Remote admin reset password
> >
> > II. BACKGROUND
> > -------------------------
> > WordPress is a state-of-the-art publishing platform with a focus on
> > aesthetics, web standards, and usability.
> > WordPress is both free and priceless at the same time.
> > More simply, WordPress is what you use when you want to work with your
> > blogging software, not fight it.
> >
> > III. DESCRIPTION
> > -------------------------
> > The way Wordpress handle a password reset looks like this:
> > You submit your email adress or username via this form
> > /wp-login.php?action=lostpassword ;
> > Wordpress send you a reset confirmation like that via email:
> >
> > "
> > Someone has asked to reset the password for the following site and
> > username.
> > http://DOMAIN_NAME.TLD/wordpress
> > Username: admin
> > To reset your password visit the following address, otherwise just ignore
> > this email and nothing will happen
> >

> > http://DOMAIN_NAME.TLD/wordpress/wp-login.php?action=rp&key=o7naCKN3OoeU2KJMMsag
> > "
> >
> > You click on the link, and then Wordpress reset your admin password, and
> > sends you over another email with your new credentials.
> >
> > Let's see how it works:
> >

> > wp-login.php:
> > ...[snip]....
> > line 186:
> > function reset_password($key) {
> >     global $wpdb;
> >
> >     $key = preg_replace('/[^a-z0-9]/i', '', $key);
> >
> >     if ( empty( $key ) )
> >         return new WP_Error('invalid_key', __('Invalid key'));
> >
> >     $user = $wpdb->get_row($wpdb->prepare("SELECT * FROM $wpdb->users WHERE
> > user_activation_key = %s", $key));
> >     if ( empty( $user ) )
> >         return new WP_Error('invalid_key', __('Invalid key'));
> > ...[snip]....
> > line 276:
> > $action = isset($_REQUEST['action']) ? $_REQUEST['action'] : 'login';
> > $errors = new WP_Error();
> >
> > if ( isset($_GET['key']) )
> >     $action = 'resetpass';
> >
> > // validate action so as to default to the login screen
> > if ( !in_array($action, array('logout', 'lostpassword', 'retrievepassword',
> [...]

Nicolas Valcárcel
Security Engineer
Custom Engineering Solutions Group
Canonical OEM Services
Mobile: +511 994 293 200
Key fingerprint = 5C4D 0C85 D9C0 98FE 11F9  DD12 524E C3CD EF58 4970
gpg --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys 654597FE

Download attachment "signature.asc" of type "application/pgp-signature" (490 bytes)