Date: Wed, 2 Sep 2009 12:16:31 +0100
From: Fizz <fizz@...ania.co.uk>
To: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: Nipper licensing

It has cost me a *LOT* of money to develop Nipper. Network devices are very
expensive as I am sure everyone knows. It also took me a *LOT* of time to
develop Nipper. It is also true that a lot of companies use Nipper to to make
money, such as auditing companies and internal IT departments.

During that time only 1 person has ever seen the need to donate to the
project, even though it makes money for a *LOT* of businesses.

Nipper has had commercial licensing exclusions for a little while now. Version
1 is now released as a full commercial version. This means that companies who
benefit from using Nipper will now have to pay a licence fee. This fee will
enable the purchase of more expensive network devices and further improve
Nipper.

NOTE: Home users will be able to continue to use Nipper for free.

Nipper is a complex program that supports almost 30 devices in its present
release. Nipper 1 has almost twice the number of code lines from the previous
version and over triple that of the one before. It is not a simple grep of a
configuration file and it audits a huge number of different settings and
protocols.

Ian Ventura-Whiting