Date: Tue, 15 Sep 2009 14:29:51 -0700
From: Susan Bradley <sbradcpa@...bell.net>
To: noloader@...il.com
Cc: nowhere@...null.com, bugtraq@...urityfocus.com,
	full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: 3rd party patch for XP for MS09-048?

Microsoft Security Bulletin MS09-048 - Critical: Vulnerabilities in
Windows TCP/IP Could Allow Remote Code Execution (967723):
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/MS09-048.mspx

<P><B>If Windows XP is listed as an affected product, why is Microsoft
not issuing an update for it?</B><BR>By default, Windows XP Service Pack
2, Windows XP Service Pack 3, and Windows XP Professional x64 Edition
Service Pack 2 do not have a listening service configured in the client
firewall and are therefore not affected by this vulnerability. Windows
XP Service Pack 2 and later operating systems include a stateful host
firewall that provides protection for computers against incoming traffic
from the Internet or from neighboring network devices on a private
network. The impact of a denial of service attack is that a system would
become unresponsive due to memory consumption. However, a successful
attack requires a sustained flood of specially crafted TCP packets, and
the system will recover once the flood ceases. This makes the severity
rating Low for Windows XP. Windows XP is not affected by CVE-2009-1925.
Customers running Windows XP are at reduced risk, and Microsoft
recommends they use the firewall included with the operating system, or
a network firewall, to block access to the affected ports and limit the
attack surface from untrusted networks.</P>