Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 16:57:39 +0100
From: Tom Grace <tom@...thbycomputers.co.uk>
To: Susan Bradley <sbradcpa@...bell.net>
Cc: noloader@...il.com, nowhere@...null.com, bugtraq@...urityfocus.com,
	full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: 3rd party patch for XP for MS09-048?

Is this relevant?
QUOTE---
Protect to 2 for the best protection against SYN attacks. This value
adds additional delays to connection indications, and TCP connection
requests quickly timeout when a SYN attack is in progress. This
parameter is the recommended setting.

NOTE: The following socket options no longer work on any socket when you
set the SynAttackProtect value to 2: Scalable windows

-----

IIRC? This is called the "Silly Window Syndrome", & this is a way, in
theory, around it... & iirc, "Scalable Windows", via setsockopt API
calls from an attacker are what the problem is here anyhow & this ought
to 'stall it'... thoughts/feedback?

APK

P.S.=> Also, "hardcoding" the TcpWindowSize & GlobalTcpWindowSize
settings in the registry in TCP/IP Parameters (see registry path above)
SHOULD also help here also, for servers that can accept MANY connections
from MANY clients, worldwide, as your specific constraints specify...

Thus, effectively stalling the ability to use TcpWindowScaling is
stopped by SynAttackProtect too, so an attacking system/app sending a
setsockopt of 0 for this SHOULD also be nullified, on a server also...

(However/Again - Workstations are easily taken care of , vs. servers,
just by what I wrote up above either by PORT FILTERING)

IP Security Policies, which can work on ranges of addresses to block,
OR, single systems as well you either ALLOW or DENY to talk to your
system, still can help also... vs. a DDOS though? SynAttackProtect is
your best friend here... you'd use netstat -b -n tcp to see which are
held in a 1/2 open SYN-RECEIVE state, & BLOCK THOSE FROM SENDING YOUR
WAY (or just by doing it in a router or routing table)... takers anyone,
on these thoughts (especially for Windows 2000)?

Thanks for your time... apk
UNQUOTE--

Source: http://tech.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=1368439&cid=29424787