Date: Sat, 07 Nov 2009 13:31:57 -0600
From: Paul Schmehl <pschmehl_lists@...rr.com>
To: full-disclosure <full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk>
Subject: Re: How Prosecutors Wiretap Wall Street

--On November 7, 2009 11:20:31 AM -0600 Rohit Patnaik
<quanticle@...il.com> wrote:

> The direction of the association doesn't matter. It doesn't matter if
> the "terrorist" is contacting me, or if I'm contacting the terrorist.
> In either case, the US government should get a warrant before they spy
> on me.

Why?  If they were pursuing criminal charges against you, then, by all
means, they should have to comply with all the strictures that protect our
rights.  But to gather intelligence about what terrorists are up to, even
if a US citizen is involved, should not require a warrant.

Intelligence works best in a world of secrecy.  The more people that are
aware of what's going on, the higher the likelihood is that the persons
being monitored will find out and change their operations.

The problem is that the lines have blurred because of technological
advances.  So you have the dichotomy of the need to know what the enemy is
up to juxtaposed against the need to protect citizens from an out of
control government.  I believe the line should be drawn clearly between
information gathering and pursuit of criminal charges.  Other believe
differently.

> Also, this executive opinion doesn't just apply to the CIA and
> the NSA.  It applies to the entire executive branch, including law
> enforcement.

Huh?  How do you know that?  Have you seen the Executive Order?  I've
looked for it in the Presidential Archives.  It's not there.

> Secondly, we seem to have a general disagreement about the intent of the
> laws regulating the intelligence and law enforcement apparatus of the
> state.  My opinion is that the restrictions placed on these agencies
> were intentional.  They were created by a Congress that was disgusted
> by the rampant abuse of executive power that occurred during the Nixon
> administration.

That is correct.  The Nixon administration was using the excuse of
national security to spy on domestic activists, claiming they were a
threat to national security.  FISA was created to insert the courts into
the process and prevent spying on US citizens without a warrant.  But even
when FISA was created, Congress noted that the law was not designed to
infringe on the President's Constitutional powers to conduct foreign agent
surveillance without a warrant.

> They were strengthened when Reagan found loopholes in
> those restrictions.  As such, I don't think its Constitutionally valid
> for the President to unilaterally ignore those restrictions.  Yes, I'm
> aware of the use of force resolution that was passed shortly following
> the Sept. 11th attack.  However, I don't think the language contained
> therein represented a rollback of over 30 years of legislative
> history.  If it is really necessary for the intelligence agencies to
> have these unprecedented powers, then they shouldn't be hesitant in
> presenting their case before Congress.

There are two schools of thought.  One says the Executive should ask
Congress to change the laws to make the job easier to do.  The other says
the Executive's inherent powers make that unnecessary.  FISA, if
interpreted to require warrants for all surveillance of US citizens, even
traitors working for the enemy, may well be an unconstitutional intrusion
on the Executive branch's powers.  If challenged in court, it might even
be struck down as overly broad.  Or the courts could clarify exactly where
the line is drawn.

I don't think the program "rolled back 30 years of legislation" as some
have argued.  I think it chose to interpret the Executive's powers as
including the ability to monitor communications of the enemy, even when
those communications crossed our borders, without having to engage the
ponderous legal system and all the reams of paperwork that requires.  FISA
was designed before the age of transcontinental computer transmissions and
never envisioned a scenario where the enemy's communications would be
carried on circuits within the US.  In fact FISA didn't even address
individual actors but only nation states.

The issues are complex, and they should be discussed without emotion or
political rhetoric and unfounded charges that cloud the waters.  And one
must always keep in mind that we're talking about a military agency trying
to track what our enemies are doing, not a domestic law enforcement agency
trying to convict citizens of a crime.

Paul Schmehl, If it isn't already
obvious, my opinions are my own
and not those of my employer.