Date: Sun, 06 Dec 2009 16:45:04 -0600
From: Paul Schmehl <pschmehl_lists@...rr.com>
To: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: Software developer looks at CRU code

--On December 6, 2009 5:20:28 PM -0500 Valdis.Kletnieks@...edu wrote:

> Feel free to substitute your own choices of sites that look at claims
> made publicly, and compare them to the actual original sources. And
> remain open to the idea that perhaps fact-checking groups appear biased
> because a majority of the people just making up shit that needs
> debunking are on one side of the aisle.

You cannot be serious.  If you seriously believe that both sides don't
make stuff up all the time, then you're either inattentive or blind.  All
politics is bullshit.  You should know that.  For example, the Democrats
have been running around insisting that there is no provision in the
healthcare bill to fund abortion, yet you can read it for yourself.  They
also claim there is no provision to find people who don't purchase
insurance, yet you can read that in the bill yourself as well.

The sooner you and others learn that both sides lie equally and you have
to do your own research, the better off this country will be.  The truth
often lies somewhere in between the claims of both sides.

> http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2009/dec/02/glenn-bec
> k/beck-says-less-10-percent-obama-cabinet-members-ha/ Do you want to
> contend that Glenn Beck's statement was in fact correct?

So now I have to defend Glenn Beck?  Why?  What does he have to do with
me?  And would it surprise you to know that I don't follow him or any of
the other so-called pundits?

We could play the yeahbut game all day, but you and I both know that leads
nowhere.

> Look Paul - at some point you're going to have to admit that at the
> current time, a significant chunk of the Republican party is completely
> unhinged (death panels, birthers, and all the rest), and any pundits
> inciting that lunacy are doing more damage to public discourse than any
> bunch of scientists.

Yeah, like the left doesn't have its own share of unhinged people - the
911 truthers, the Bushitler crowd, the Michael Moore contingent (there is
no bigger liar on the planet), the anthropomorphic global warming crowd,
the let-give-terrorists-constitutional-rights crowd,  etc., etc.  The
problems are the same on both sides.  The fact that you can't see that
says a lot more about you than it does about either side.

Paul Schmehl, If it isn't already
obvious, my opinions are my own
and not those of my employer.