Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 12:45:07 +1100
From: "Ivan ." <ivanhec@...il.com>
To: Dan Kaminsky <dan@...para.com>
Cc: full-disclosure <full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk>
Subject: Re: Revenge of the Computer Nerds

ahh the bullshit left / right paradigm. Sheeple anyone?

Seven Ploys for Manipulating the People:

1. The Distraction Principle: While the people are distracted by the
struggle to exist, politicians can do virtually anything to them and
they will not notice

2. The Social Compliance Principle: The people are trained by society
not to question authority. Politicians can exploit this “suspension
of suspiciousness� to make people believe what they want them to

3. The Herd Principle: Even highly scpetical people will let their
guard down when everyone around them appears to share the same views.
Politicians exploit this by utilising propaganda (spin) to spread lies
and misconceptions

4. The Dishonestly Principle: Any mistaken past agreement with the
politician's spin may be used against you in the future, making it
harder for people to publicly change their views even when they
realise they've been had

5. The Deception Principle: Things and people are seldom what they
seem, but politicians and their media teams are expert at manipulating
your perceptions to believe that they are

6. The Need and Greed Principle: Your needs and desires, such as
wanting to do the right thing for your children, make you vulnerable.
Once politicians have convinced you about what it is you really want,
they can easily manipulate you

7. The Time Principle: When the people are under time pressure to make
an important choice, they use a different decision strategy.
Politicians steer the people towards a strategy that involves less
reasoning.

These are the classic ploys used by confidence tricksters everywhere.