Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2010 15:52:58 -0500
From: jack mannino <jack.a.mannino@...il.com>
To: dd@...uri.net
Cc: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: iiscan results - a closer look

Have you ever performed the same analysis of the tests the paid scanning
products perform?  I think you would be amazed at the similarities in their
general lack of intelligence and poor ability to make decisions based on
context and/or environment.

Also, what do you consider "good" about the checks it performed?  Very basic
' or 1 =1 stuff, with basic URL encoding at the "high end" of the test
cases.

<rant>

I'd argue that any organization without an application security program that
would use IIScan or a similar solution is actually LESS secure if they don't
understand that a simple scan isn't the same as having an actual approach.
Finding a few simple holes and fixing them doesn't constitute improving your
security posture, at all.

</rant>

-Jack

On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 3:42 PM, <dd@...uri.net> wrote:

> I played with it a little yesterday and posted my thoughts (as well as
> a summary of their whole scan) at:
>
> http://blog.sucuri.net/2010/01/closer-look-at-iiscan.html
>
> It is a nice tool with some good checks looking for SQL, XSS, etc... I
> just think they
> didn't look deep enough in my site to check more stuff...
>

> --dd
>

> On Thu, Jan 7, 2010 at 11:58 AM, Robin Sage <robin.sage@...ketmail.com>
> wrote:
> > If anyone has any more invite codes please send one to me.
> > I tried the ones posted and they were not functional.
> > I also emailed support and never received a response.
> >
> > Has anyone compared this to AppScan, WebInspect, Sentinnel, Qualys or
> > Acunetix ?
> > How many trials do you get per invite code? Just 1 app?
> >
> > Thanks!

Content of type "text/html" skipped