Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2010 09:31:49 -0800
From: "Arian J. Evans" <arian.evans@...chronic.com>
To: "Timothy D. Morgan" <tmorgan@...curity.com>, bugtraq@...urityfocus.com,
	Full-Disclosure <full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk>,
	websecurity@...appsec.org
Subject: Re: [Webappsec] Paper: Weaning the Web off of
	Session Cookies

Regarding SSO - not at all. Not even remotely. It's not about
"wrappers frameworks put around cookies".

Spend some time on *.yahoo* and *.google* and their partner sites, and
look at how they use both auth and personalization cookies (two
different things).

For the former there is no way to solve usefully with Digest without
implementing some persistent unified tracking mechanism of the likes
Digest Auth does not provide today, or implementing some massive OoB
auth-sharing mechanism like SAML, or combining with something like
SXIP or OpenID. None of these latter give us the changeable
persistence bits we want and need though, when passing auth around
multi-domain/host properties.

Sure, it would work fine for isolated financial apps with no
off-domain links. But that's not the direction the web is moving in.

Auth != Security

Auth != Confidentiality

Auth = Identity

That's the future, like it or not. Cookies are not only "good enough",
but they have distinct advantages over Digest when it comes to
verifying and tracking Identity.

But this stuff makes for good thought so keep the ideas rolling,

---
Arian Evans
capitalist marksman. eats animals and cookies.