Date: Sat, 30 Jan 2010 12:40:24 -0800
From: "Arian J. Evans" <arian.evans@...chronic.com>
To: "Timothy D. Morgan" <tmorgan@...curity.com>
Cc: Full-Disclosure <full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk>,
	bugtraq@...urityfocus.com, websecurity@...appsec.org
Subject: Re: [Webappsec] Paper: Weaning the Web off of
	Session Cookies

Meh. Regarding concrete examples - I always like to start with these:

http://*.google.com
http://*.yahoo.com
http://*.adobe.com
http://java.sun.com

No one clears cookies. Personal Web Privacy is a dying agenda. PGP is
dead. The numbers are self evident. Look at the choices, behavior, and
demographics involved with Facebook and MySpace. That is the future.

You mention you clear cookies....and reference that you are not alone.

But you are alone. Especially if you delete RIA cookies. No offense.
That's just a fact.

Do you really block cross-domain RIA cookies? Really?

No one on the planet, even "internet security savvy" people, delete
RIA cookies. It's why SEO and ad network brokering and domainers love
to use them. You know - those people servicing tens of millions of
uniques a month, that drive the internet....

Stats on cookie deletion are widely debated. Anecdotally from family,
from significant ecommerce experience, and from SEO and marketing
folks I know - the percentage of folks who clear cookies on a
meaningful basis is still very low. Take that for what's it's
worth...but it's a pretty well educated guess.

I can find "stats" and "studies" via search engines that argue either
way about cookie retention, so I will agree we don't know for sure how
folks use cookies. But simply looking at artifacts like the number of
users still using ancient browsers and the fact that orgs like Google
drive multi-billion dollar business lines counting on cookie retention
- should give you a clear idea how many people delete cookies.

You are obviously intelligent and put a lot of thought into your
paper, and you made some positive suggestions. I think that is good
and encourage you to continue your work. I'm not debating the
potential inherent value of your ideas either. I once was in favor for
doing exactly this - building strong auth into the protocol, at
protocol and server level, including nonces, etc.

All good ideas, but I believe stillborn at this point. You would get
far more mileage IMO out of promoting "HTTP 2.0" and issuing in a
separate data and control channel for the browser, and then look at
something like this for dynamic auth tokens, combined with data
structure nonces as well. Kill two birds with one stone. Folks that
want strong dynamic auth are probably largely the same folks who want
strong data structures enforced.

But by and large today --

As more and more app development moves to hardware platforms
(iAppleStuffs) and social media aka Ad-metadata networks (Facebook,
Google *.google.com apps, webmail, etc.) cookies are an easy and
transparent way to fly, that work now, all the time, and have clear
business drivers behind them for auth tracking (and working now, all
the time).

Many modern web 2.0 products use cookies for auth = tracking, not auth
= confidentiality.

The majority of internet users use modern apps where auth = "identity
tracking and sharing", and statistics support this.

These same users will readily glue their private, regulated,  banking
apps together with Farmville in some mad web 2.0 gadget-ridden mashup,
that is cross-domain shared and scripted by default. Which is one area
cookies rule.

I'm going to drop out of this thread as we are at a point where we
disagree on premise, and possibly ideology.

Cheerio,

---
Arian Evans
capitalist marksman. eats animals and cookies. And SWF's * access.