Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2010 20:32:44 +0000
From: "Thor (Hammer of God)" <Thor@...merofgod.com>
To: "craig.wright@...ormation-Defense.com"
	<craig.wright@...ormation-Defense.com>, "pen-test@...urityfocus.com"
	<pen-test@...urityfocus.com>, 'full-disclosure'
	<full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk>
Subject: Re: SMS Banking

In line.

> "Exactly.  So, before the incident, you would have come up with Some
> Number
> and said, "this is your risk."  After the incident your number would
> (hopefully) change to Some Number + Some Other Number, and you could
> say
> "Oops.  Didn't think of that.  Sorry."
>
> Are you trying to be clueless? [R(t)-> 0] means that the system was
> inherently unreliable. That is no change before or after. I recommended
> probability distribution that links to a financial model.

Well, if I arrive at clueless, it will definitely be because I tried.  Maybe you can teach me how to attain that disposition naturally.

So, ANY deployment of SQL server is inherently unreliable?  And the SMS model is also inherently unreliable. What system then is NOT inherently unreliable?  Might we assume that your own formula falls into this category?

> " Fine.  Let's do it this way then.  We'll have someone implement an
> SMS
> solution for banking that we don't have anything to do with.  I'll
> assess
> risk my way, you assess risk with your calculator.  Since *someone* has
> pay, are you saying that you are willing to assume responsibility for
> financial losses when your numbers come out wrong?"
>
> Yes simply I will. In case you have not as yet had a clue, I stated
> reliability limits towards 0. That means the SMS solution is inherently
> insecure.
>
> "So which is it?  Is quantifying the probability of compromise "fairly
> simple using a formula" or is it "not an economic function pure and
> simple?""
> Both.

Typical.

> " Since *someone* has to pay, are you saying that you are willing to
> assume
> responsibility for financial losses when your numbers come out wrong?"
> I am working on a hedging instrument at present, and yes, where I am
> paid to
> model systems I will negotiate for losses.

Excellent.  Bring your checkbook along with your math.

> So where are all the lives being lost through a banking app?

They are not.  They will be when you start consulting to CIP.  Do us a favor though, test it out on your own country first.  But let me know before you do, my friends David and Greg are in AU.

> "Surely as the most highly certified security professional in the world
> you
> don't need me, a mere working stiff, to find you a sponsor."
> If you want me there, yes. I work by the hour, I am not going to waste
> time
> paying for this "opportunity". How about you come to an IEEE
> conference?

So, the most highly certified security professional in the world, and the greatest global mind in computer security refers to an open debate where you could defend formulas that have been publically ridiculed and openly called ignorant as a "waste of time"?  I don't need to pay you to substantiate my claims, sir.  You just did it for free.