Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 15:54:15 +0000
From: "Thor (Hammer of God)" <Thor@...merofgod.com>
To: "craig.wright@...ormation-Defense.com"
	<craig.wright@...ormation-Defense.com>, 'full-disclosure'
	<full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk>
Cc: "pen-test@...urityfocus.com" <pen-test@...urityfocus.com>,
	"advisory-board-open@...ts.sans.org" <advisory-board-open@...ts.sans.org>,
	'Jeff Frisk' <jfrisk@...c.org>,
	"security-basics@...urityfocus.com" <security-basics@...urityfocus.com>,
	"stephen@...s.edu" <stephen@...s.edu>, 'Ben Wright' <ben.wright@...oo.com>
Subject: Re: SMS Banking

Outstanding.  Things to take into account while drafting the contract:

First and foremost, the most important question, followed by a subsequent statement addresses this:

> Code vulnerabilities is but a single risk measure (see below for where
> this > fits). My Question to Tim is are you implying that you cannot do this?
> Knowing the likelihood of code vulnerabilities and the rate comes to
> patching and hence implementation issues. I am stating that I can model
> this. I will put my reputation etc on the line (as well as a large
> quantity of cash) on the assertion that I can model the risk of software within
> a set > confidence bound given the a prior information on the product, user
> base and such other information against a qualitative determination.

You are changing the bet in mid-stream.  You are now saying you can model likelihood of code vulnerabilities based on past discoveries.  Several points:

Code vulnerabilities does not equal risk.  They are code vulnerabilities.  You said you could predict the "risk" of an SMS banking solution with your formula.  I say that you, unequivocally, cannot, and that such a statement is ridiculous.  Hence the bet.
The risk of deploying any given solution takes into account FAR too many real-world elements than any formula can address.  For instance -
Let's take a system; any system that allows unencrypted login via the internet.  Your formula cannot determine "risk" in any way.  If the system is storing the names of the Seven Dwarfs, then there is not much risk.  If the same system allows one to shut of grid power to NYC, then the risk is increased.  To the point of you being able to "predict" what future code vulnerabilities are, I'm even dubious on that.  You can indeed create a model, but will it be accurate?  No - you have no idea what vulnerabilities lie in wait.  Will it be statistically accurate based on math?  I don't know, and more importantly, I don't care.  Whatever "number" you come up with will be worthless in its application to risk without other factors.

My $100,000 bet, that I accept, is based on the fact that your results, whatever they are, will be WRONG when ascertaining true risk, which this is all about.  I am extremely gratified that this has gotten the attention that I desired it would, because it brings to light the true dangers of having people with your mindset involved in critical infrastructure protection - the OTHER reason I got involved with this.  If you are so eager to give away (which you will) $100,000 of your money to support such a foolhardy stance such as calculating risk based on past software vulnerabilities, what would you do when making the same decisions that protect water and power systems?  To that end, I am happy to see not just your money, but your "reputation" as you put it, at stake here.

The results I generate will have nothing to do with whatever numbers your model spits out.  The bet is not if you can come up with a formula that produces numbers.  The bet is that THOSE NUMBERS will be proven wrong.  You cannot gauge risk with the "simple formula" you posted on your site.  Period.  THAT sir, is the bet, and that is the bet that you already accepted, in writing.

Breaching the system that you put up further has nothing to do with you calculating risk.  But that's fine with me.  A few questions to the board on SANS before I get into that.  I'm assuming that Craig's enlistment of your input is sanctioned?  Craig speaks for you in regard to having your students be the ones that set up a system that gets hacked into and $100,000 lost?  Am I to understand that SANS endorses Craig's Magic Risk Formula, and that this is something you recommend your clients/customers use to determine risk?  I need to know this in order to ensure that all the parties are properly referenced in my acceptance speech.  I further suppose it would be rude not to extend invitations to the parties involved to the party following.

Since SANS is involved, at least by proxy and extension, shall I assume that you (Craig) will embrace SANS' raison d'ĂȘtre when building this system?   I ask because this is where the "Thor can do whatever he wants" again, that is already in writing, comes in.  SANS's exists to help companies determine risk and analyze the security of systems in the "real world."  If people didn't configure systems incorrectly, deploy unpatched systems, and write poor code, SANS wouldn't exist.  I'm assuming that the historical data you presume to include in your Magic Number will be extended to this installation?  Meaning, one can expect to see the typical vulnerabilities found in deployments present in this system?  Or do you intend to create an uber-hack-proof system to substantiate your reputation, thus obviating the usefulness that SANS as an organization provides?  Clearly, if all systems in the world were set up how one might assume you will set up yours, there would not be a need for SANS anymore (if that idea is taken to the extreme).  In fact, the need to calculate risk would be obviated.  But I supposed that is another story.

Not only will I take your money, and ruin your reputation in this bet, but I'll tell you how I will do it UP FRONT.  Will that be fair enough?  Go ahead.  Set up your system.  If I have someone show up at the door with a shotgun and ask for the hardware, do I win?  Or will you cry "Hey, that's not fair.  Do over!"  Do you not think the criminals of the world do things like that?  Where in your formula do you plug that in?  Do you even know what the majority of the breaches in the world are from?  What about when I call a student and say "Hey dude.  There's $25,000 cash in it for you if you give me the admin password."  Would you cry foul?  Where in your formula do you plug that eventuality in?  Don't forget that you said "Thor can do whatever he wants."

We don't need to bother with the 100 packages.  Bring in your SANS students, assuming you speak for SANS since you looped them in on the Full Disclosure list, and presumably trust you enough to weather the backlash of their students being the ones to configure the system that will be hacked, configure your system, and put it up.  Hell, Craig - I don't even care if you turn it on; just leave the check taped to the hard drive (I'm being facetious of course on that part - I just can't help but have fun with this.)

To keep it even more simple, and so everyone here sees, this is what I will disprove beyond a shadow of a doubt.  I quote you directly:

"Where a system uses an SMS response with a separate system (such as a web page), the probability that the banking user is compromised and a fraud is committed, P(Compromise), can be calculated as: P(Compromise) = P(C.SMS) x P(C.PIN)
Where: P(C.SMS) is the probability of compromising the SMS function and P(C.PIN) is the compromise of the user authentication method"

That is the "probability of compromise."  COMPROMISE.  Not "model that just might predict software code vulnerabilities."  I will PROVE that your figure is WRONG and in the process, PROVE that your formula cannot be used in any meaningful way,  Period.

Please let me know when you've got the contract ready.