Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 09:34:40 -0500
From: Nick Chernyy <nchernyy@...il.com>
To: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: SMS Banking

On 2/10/2010 2:56 PM, Craig S. Wright wrote:
> Tim,
> You stated “You are officially “on.” “ to my challenge.
>
> I am arranging a contract. An attorney has been arranged for both the
> contract and the escrow.  This will take a number of days.
>
> The amount has upped and there are a couple other aspects, but the initial
> framework holds. Stop trying to weasel.
>
> Regards,
> Dr. Craig S Wright GSE-Malware, GSE-Compliance, LLM, & ...
> Information Defense Pty Ltd

Dr. Wright,
I have only now looked at the original post at
http://gse-compliance.blogspot.com/2010/02/modelling-risk.html and find
a few issues with the basic statistics. The core of the argument is that
the CDF of a Poisson distribution does not go to 0 as time goes to
infinity. The mathematical formulas are unreadable in their GIF format,
perhaps there is a PDF available, so I find these two general problems:

1.) This assumes a constant rate for the Poisson process, which is
generally a bad model for vulnerability discovery. I am more experienced
with hardware security, so I will use the iPhone as an example. It took
some months for the development of the initial jailbreak, however,
successive jailbreaks were released days after software updates once the
iPhone's internals were well understood. Part of the security of a
closed-source system is the lack of information about the system's
internals. Once an initial vulnerability is discovered, and exploited,
any new information would change the probability of successive
vulnerability discoveries.

2.) Your model does not account for software updates or patches. Any SMS
system likely has a group of developers which constantly operates to
improve performance and security. This again changes the Poisson rate as
vulnerabilities are constantly patched and new ones are potentially
introduced.

Finally, you do not mention anything about variance in your rate
constant or decay variable estimates. In statistics terminology, any
quantitative statements made using these formulas lack power. Until
these issues are addressed, I am not sure that this analysis is useful
outside of a very restrained MATLAB simulation.

-Nick