Date: Sat, 27 Feb 2010 00:06:01 +0100
From: "Jean-Christophe Baptiste" <jc@...cean.net>
To: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Cc: Mark Shuttleworth <mark@...ntu.com>
Subject: Re: Ubuntu Lucid Lynx is Big brother Ubuntu

Le jeudi 25 février 2010 23:43:54, Mark Shuttleworth a écrit :

> We're bringing social interaction from the web, into the desktop. We're
> breathing life back into the city center, as it were. We're making the
> desktop more human. This is our mission, our reason for loving what we
> do. I'm sorry if it offends you, but it's got many people int he
> community very excited. There's no commercial conflict of interests here
> - we're putting it in by default purely to delight users. I accept that
> you're not delighted, but I don't see any signs that this won't be one
> of the favorite things about the release, for most users.

Well, it is hard to believe that you don't have an agenda concerning this
stuff.
It would mean you are a bad leader, what I am sure is not the case.
I don't believe that the goal is just satisfying your users. Nothing wrong
about it, of course, open source is in no way incompatible with buisiness.

So your bet seems to be on cloud computing,
This and the recent move to Google Docs instead of Open Office show that
clearly.
What's less clear to me if you are planing a buisiness model on it or if you
are just following the trend Google is pushing for. It's probably both.

Anyway, the result is that Ubuntu is going to be a Chrome OS like, and that's
really sad.

Decide what's good for the users in their place is a mistake.
Internet ad Computer as we know them will disapear, leaving the place to
devices without intelligence used by brainless users.
The only right thing to do is to improve usability but not at the cost of
functionalities, and, the most important, educate users.

Computers are wonderful tools. Let's use them correctly. Many people don't
want of it again : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minitel (something we had in
France in the 80s, no wonder it never spread out).

I hope somehow it will be heard.

Best regards,
--
Jean-Christophe Baptiste <jc@...cean.net>