Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 11:09:00 +0000
From: Michal <michal@...ic.co.uk>
To: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: Ubisoft DDoS

On 09/03/2010 16:01, Valdis.Kletnieks@...edu wrote:
> On Tue, 09 Mar 2010 15:24:44 GMT, Michal said:
>
>> I've worked at huge online better company and they had network devices
>> that worked to stop DDoS as we got hit quite a bit. I have to say they
>> managed quite well, often we would only notice because we regularly
>> checked the graphs over 24 hours periods. Other times the attacks had
>> some successes but they worked well. Can't remember what they where
>> called...think it was a company that ended up being bought by Cisco,
>> though we did have cards in the 6500 routers to also help out with DDOS.
>
> Oh, I didn't say they didn't exist.  There's some *really* nice gear for
> DDoS mitigation available, if your budget is in the high 6 digits to 7 digits
> range per year. Your average 6509 router is going to need some expensive
> help surviving. ;)

Oh yeah, they paid a pretty penny for these things, along with the rest
of the infrastructure. It was serious business. In the early days at
that company they had quite a lot of problems, I can imagine when
capital was low and trying to get this stuff in place would be difficult.

Still trying to rack my brains what we where using...it wasn't anything
cisco though (well on the DDos mitigation anyway). I do remember it has
a horrid Java driven web GUI...what is it with net devices and Java
driven gui's...like Citrix Netscalers...absolute pain. Just tell
customers to SSH in and use that instead of wasting time and money on a
gui that was absolutely horrid to use </rant> (Yes I am awear that a lot
of people who are "network engineers" can't actually use a command line
so there is a real market for this shit)