Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 00:04:15 +0100
From: Tim Brown <timb@...-dimension.org.uk>
To: John Adams <jna@...tter.com>, full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Cc: bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: Medium security hole in Varnish reverse proxy

On Monday 29 March 2010 18:12:38 John Adams wrote:

> Post some code that people can evaluate.

I don't really like posting PoC code, but consider:

param.set user root
stop
start
vcl.inline test "backend default { .host = \"127.0.0.1\"; .port = \"8080\"; }
C{ #include <aheaderfile.h> }C sub vcl_recv { C{ system(\"touch /tmp/foo\"); }C
}"
vcl.use test

Should give you some ideas....

> For starters, There's no reason why varnish ever has to run as root.
> It never listens on privileged ports, and the C compiler is never
> available over a network interface.

The proxy process doesn't run as root by default, but that's not much
consolation if the master process can reconfigure it at will.  The C compiler
is available over whatever interface the master port is bound to, and in most
cases that will be localhost:6082.  I've seen that as a default configuration
for FreeBSD, Fedora, Debian and Ubuntu packages.

Not strictly true, have a look at vcl.inline (as per the example above).

> You an also
> only cause recompilation to occur if the admin interface is up and
> running, which can be easily disabled.

True, but up until the latest version this was your only option since there
was no authentication support and the default in many cases (including as
noted in my advisory, the Redhat packaging files included in Varnish trunk) was
to enable it.  The addition of authentication in 2.1.0 will /if enabled/
improve the situation no end.

> Poul is probably correct. Any vulnerabilities in Varnish with regards
> to privilege escalation are configuration issues.

Technically he is probably right but I still think the design sucks too, and
let's be honest, an attacker probably doesn't need to make the distinction
anyway.

Tim
--
Tim Brown
<mailto:timb@...-dimension.org.uk>

Download attachment "signature.asc " of type "application/pgp-signature" (837 bytes)