Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2010 17:19:37 -0400
From: Stephen Mullins <steve.mullins.work@...il.com>
To: Valdis.Kletnieks@...edu
Cc: full-disclosure <full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk>
Subject: Re: Compliance Is Wasted Money, Study Finds

You're right, they aren't robots, they're overpaid tech writers that
memorized just enough industry jargon and buzzwords to talk the talk
without being able to walk the walk.

http://www.computerweekly.com/Articles/2010/03/25/240719/Sans-founder-slams-39terribly-damaging39-US-cyber-security.htm

SANS Institute founder Alan Paller had some comments about FISMA
compliance and C&A professionals.

"[They] rewarded ineffective behavior and created a cadre of people
who call themselves security professionals but who proudly admit they
cannot implement security settings on systems and network devices or
find a programming flaw," he said.

"Fisma had created and rewarded a culture of compliance rather than
security," Paller said. Federal and state governments were "radically
short of money", but they were forced to spend it on reporting rather
than security, he said. "Writers who know how a few words about
security and federal regulations now make 50% to 80% more money than
the people who actually secure systems and networks and applications,"
he said. "It is as if we paid the compliance staff at a hospital more
than the surgeons."

He said the nation's attention should be on real-time monitoring of
its information systems and networks to prevent or mitigate attacks as
they happened. "Oversight must be focused on the effectiveness of the
agencies' real time defences," he said.