Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2010 00:01:53 +0200
From: Christian Sciberras <uuf6429@...il.com>
To: Mike Hale <eyeronic.design@...il.com>
Cc: full-disclosure <full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk>,
	"security-basics@...urityfocus.com" <security-basics@...urityfocus.com>,
	"Thor \(Hammer of God\)" <Thor@...merofgod.com>
Subject: Re: Compliance Is Wasted Money, Study Finds

If you strive for security, and weave that into your network,
complying with PCI should be cake.

Uhm.. No. NO. PCI is an unnecessary hassle. What makes signing a document
any more secure then having server facing the wild of the net?

Truth is, PCI doesn't help in security at all. It at most a sense of false
security (and at least serves as a recreational exercise for auditors).

Thor, I'm not arguing with the article, since I didn't read it, and I won't
bother to. I just want to point out some hard facts about PCI/DSS which you
call "no big deal".
I surely agree with that, but what is not a big deal for you doesn't mean it
ain't for the rest of the world.
What stops an uninformed programmer from complying with PCI/DSS (or at
least, think to) and leave  RFI/XSS/whatever holes everywhere?
That said, security flaws are just about everywhere so no need to get
critical about it. For now at least.

The point isn't "who" should be using credit cards or not, it's a matter of
security.

I find it strange that you're excusing marketing propaganda.

Sincere regards,
Christian Sciberras.

Content of type "text/html" skipped