Date: Sat, 1 May 2010 21:02:50 -0400
From: Dan Kaminsky <dan@...para.com>
To: "nick@...us-l.demon.co.uk" <nick@...us-l.demon.co.uk>
Cc: "full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk" <full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk>
Subject: Re: newest category of security bugs considered
	elite ?

On May 1, 2010, at 8:30 PM, Nick FitzGerald <nick@...us-l.demon.co.uk>
wrote:

> Dan Kaminsky wrote:
>
>> I really like the hash length declaration bugs, where the client can
>> tell the server how many bytes of a hash need to be validated.  (Yep,
>> you just say "one byte is plenty")
>>
>> SNMPv3 and XML-DSIG both fell to this, catastrophically.
>
> I thought Georgi asked for the newest class of elite vulns?
>
> Does (at least) ten years old count as new?

Ooh, SMB's old Hollywood OS bug -- one character at a time attacks.
Indeed, this is very old.  It's actually an annoying pattern, that
things we think are attack multipliers ('you have to simultaneously
attack MD5 and SHA1') turn out to just be adders (you can attack one
at a time).

This bug class is different, and as far as I know unseen from the 80's
and 90's. In this one, you tell the remote system, 'sure, I can match
your stored hash -- but it's only one byte long.'. So you try an
average of 128 passwords, and off you go.

It's basically a problem where the client is trusted to provide
excessive metadata about server state. If you've got other examples in
this family, it'd be cool to hear them.

(The TLS reneg bug was super cool but client/server confusion of
identical protocol messages has precedent, I'm sure.)