Date: Fri, 07 May 2010 00:17:43 +1200
From: Nick FitzGerald <nick@...us-l.demon.co.uk>
To: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: JavaScript exploits via source code disclosure

Ed Carp wrote:

> We've got a lot of JQuery code that calls back-end web services, and
> we're worried about exposing the web services to the outside world -
> anyone can "view source" and see exactly how we're calling our web
> services.
>
> Are there any suggestions or guidelines regarding protecting one's
> source from such disclosure?  Thanks in advance!

If the details have to be in the JS (really?) then accept that they
have to be exposed to all and sundry and design to that constraint
(which may mean deciding that you really don't want to drink the web
2.0 Kool-Aid after all...).

There are all manner of weaselly described/advertised code "encryptors"
and such, which are really just obfuscators.  If the code has to run in
the (JS interpreter of the) client browser, it is necessarily available
to any marginally competent "attacker" (or even me).  Anyone motivated
enough (and that will not have to be terribly motivated) will be able
to untangle the results of such and then try to make sense of the
remaining representation of your code.

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald