Date: Mon, 17 May 2010 03:48:36 +0100
From: "lsi" <stuart@...erdelix.net>
To: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: Windows' future (reprise)

On 17 May 2010 at 1:06, Christian Sciberras wrote:

> Malware is not "flooding". It only s much as "changes" and not at an
> alarming rate neither.

It is mutating at approx 243% per annum, a rate which is more than
twice as fast as Moore's Law (200% every 24 months).  I do find this
alarming, because I want my CPU back.  So does everyone else I know.

> Happens that any piece of [individual] malware is smaller than 5Mb (as in my
> example) therefor what you call a flood is nothing more then a couple of
> droplets of water in a lake.

Did you ever try and use your computer when it was doing a virus
scan?  That's much more than a droplet of CPU that you are missing.

> Besides, competent anti-viruses automatically clean their own signature base
> from systems immune to certain malware (eg patched).

Nice.  That would improve things I think (assuming the patch does in
fact make the machine invulnerable to the malware that it can no
longer detect).

> Also, thankfully, I don't get infected with new malware X times per day, in
> fact, I don't recall ever being infected in the last 6/7 years I've run
> Windows (your point of focus).
> I'm sure I'm not alone, so where do you put us in your equation? Surely you
> can't infect non-existent workstations?

I'm not analysing infections, I'm analysing "new threats" (as defined
by Symantec).

However if I was analysing infections, I'd call you an outlier
(anomaly), and exclude you from my computation.  You would be one of
the few.  Impressive though.

Stu

> [...]
> > pan-galactic alien survey ship.  However, the actual *risk* of me being hit
> > in the head while walking to a matinée of The Rocky Horror Picture Show
> > doesn't dictate that I apply a small mixture of Purell and Teflon to my
> > umbrella and fill my squirt gun with alien repellent.
> > >
> > > The risk of me personally being struck by falling alien poo is *far*
> > lower than the risk of any one of the almost 7 billion people on the planet
> > being struck by falling alien poo.  You may be able to calculate the risk of
> > my being poo'd in relation to any given human being poo'd, but no level of
> > math will allow you to determine what my or any other person's individual
> > chance of being poo'd is.
> > >
> > > Your argument would call everyone to change the way they protect
> > themselves from falling alien poo out of the mere existence of a threat
> > without really qualifying the associated risk.  That does nothing for
> > anyone, and would only cause a rise in the cost of umbrellas and squirt guns
> > and would probably result in the theater putting the kibosh on Rock Horror
> > completely and charging people to watch Born Free.  (Insert clever
> > association of "Born Free" with "free" open source products here.  See what
> > I did there?)
> > >
> > > Further, the basis of this "threat" is that you would actually have to
> > trust what Stephen Hawking is saying in the first place.  In his case, there
> > really isn't any way to know that he's the one saying it, is there?  For all
> > we know, the ghost of Carl Sagan could have hacked into his computer and has
> > made Mr. Hawking's requests to have his Depends changed translated into "run
> > for your lives, the aliens are coming, the aliens are coming"  when his
> > computer talks.
> > >
> > > My point is that you are taking threat statistics from Symantec
> > that don't mean anything on their own, as there is no definition of
> > how those threats would apply to any given system, and directly
> > converting them into some global level of risk - and you are doing so
> > to such extremes that you actually conclude that the solution is to
> > do away with Microsoft products based on some unproven and imagined
> > postulate that closed source is somehow at the core of the issue
> > while at the same time admitting you don't know anything about the
> > platform.   The fact that you are actually using Windows and programs
> > written with Visual Studio out of convenience to you critically
> > damages your argument.  If you as the author of this idea refuse to
> > migrate from Windows or applications written with Windows development
> > products and frameworks just because it is *not convenient* for you,
> > how could you possibly expect anyone supporting any infrastructure of
> > consequence to take your advice or even consider your ideas as
> > anything other than hysteria when they would have to engage in
> > unfathomable expense, effort and time to create a total and complete
> > paradigm change in their business simply to try to defend against

---
Stuart Udall
stuart at@...erdelix.dot net - http://www.cyberdelix.net/

---
 * Origin: lsi: revolution through evolution (192:168/0.2)