Date: Sun, 23 May 2010 16:34:24 +0000
From: "Thor (Hammer of God)" <Thor@...merofgod.com>
To: "full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk" <full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk>
Subject: Re: denial-of-service vulnerability in the
 Microsoft	Malicious Software Removal Tool

And where's the part where the system was rendered unbootable?

And how did your users get infected with Cutwail?  Let me guess... they are all still running XP and you've got them running as local administrators right?  And they get to download codecs "willy nilly" and are probably using Bittorrent to get illegal copies of software pre-infected with cutwail, right?

Regardless, let's see if we have your advisory correct.  In order to be a victim of this "Denial of Service Vulnerability" we must first get infected with something like Cutwail that runs with user interaction and also requires administrator privileges (you can see that NDIS.SYS was altered).  Of course, your AV must be at least 2 years old too.  Then, once we get infected with malware, we run MRT, and see in the logs that it was successfully removed and requires a reboot.

Very nice work indeed!!!  You're clients are fortunate to have you!