Date: Sun, 30 May 2010 10:47:29 -0700
From: <dink@...inkydink.com>
To: "Thor \(Hammer of God\)" <Thor@...merofgod.com>
Cc: "full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk" <full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk>
Subject: Re: Websense Enterprise 6.3.3 Policy Bypass

Chaining downstream proxies to ISA and requiring Windows Integrated Auth
has been an issue for a long time (it generally breaks the chain, so
that fixes the bypass problem right there), but frankly I'm guessing.

Windows Auth brings a lot of incompatibilities with it.  I wouldn't
recommend it unless it was absolutely required, but its
proxy-chain-breaking properties are legendary.

The ISA server will continue to log, even though Websense won't, so you
do have that.  But ISA won't filter, so you're back to square one.   And
comparing the two databases for discrepancies can get ugly.  By the time
you get around to comparing the databases, the damage has already been
done.  It becomes a forensics exercise at that point.

What I think is going on here is either:

A) The Websense ISA plug-in sees that the request has come in by proxy
and assumes it has already been filtered by the originating proxy

or...

B) ISA sees the request has come in by proxy and therefore doesn't send
the request to the Websense ISA plug-in for filtering.

If it's "B", then it's a Microsoft issue and it may never get fixed (and
it becomes marketing bullet point for ISA Server TMG).

If the same problem occurs in a SQUID integration of Websense 6.3.3,
then it's definitely "A".

I have a feeling Websense fixed it in the 7.x series, so they're
probably not motivated to fix it in 6.x.  Again, I don't have the
resources to test that theory (and I asked Dan Hubbard politely for a
temporary license for research purposes).

My hunch is they did fix it in 7.x because they pretty much ignored me
after the first e-mail I sent back in October 2009.