Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2010 22:30:09 -0700
From: "Tomas L. Byrnes" <tomb@...neit.net>
To: "Joel Esler" <joel.esler@...com>,
	"Gadi Evron" <ge@...uxbox.org>
Cc: funsec@...uxbox.org, full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: [funsec] The Economist, cyber war issue

It's pretty much what Winn Schwartau warned of in "Terminal Compromise"
20 years ago; with the usual Elitist and Dirigiste answer that "Arms
Control" is the solution. I'm a subscriber to "The Economist", and I've
found their descent into the antithesis of free market, liberal
economics, disgusting; but like a train wreck, I can't stop watching.

It's funny that, in the same issue, they report on the SCOTUS McDonald
decision (although they clearly tsk tsk at our American idea that the
best defense against crime is citizens defending themselves).

The reality is that "Arms Control", even more so in cyberspace than
meatspace, means only criminals have (effective) weapons.

What is needed is a cyberspace version of an armed citizenry.

Pardon my arrogance, but I think ThreatSTOP, with our closed-loop ideal,
building on the DShield original work done by Johannes, could be the
archetype of this. We turn the grid computing effect the bots have, by
making all our subscribers detectors; the same way the botnets make all
compromised systems attackers; back on them.

Flame me if you want, but if you really want to make a difference, tell
me how to make ThreatSTOP better.