Date: Mon, 05 Jul 2010 21:48:53 -0400
From: Mary and Glenn Everhart <Everhart@....com>
To: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: Full-Disclosure Digest, Vol 65, Issue 7

Might I suggest that in addition to discussing how to defend against
software attacks, that it is also useful to devise methods and protocols
that will function even where the systems being used to communicate are
infected with malware?

I have wondered whether such tricks as oblivious transfer might be used
in such connection, but thus far nothing has occurred at least to me.
However, it is possible to build systems that are pure software and
which can resist a few attacks. Repeated uses can of course enable an
attacker to deduce what is going on. However, if the systems may have
hardware components, it is possible to do very much better.
Bidirectional authentication and transaction signing (which I fear are
elements that are all needed) can be achieved.

Perhaps others will be able to find resistant systems that might (also)
use the human mind as part of the protocols and which might provide the
elements for supporting transactions whether the systems used are
attacked or not, provided only that the transaction information can get
back and forth. (Attacks that simple in effect cut the wire should be
noticeable as producing a failed transaction, but cannot very well allow
one to succeed whatever one does.)

Glenn Everhart