Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 07:13:35 +0530
From: Sandeep Sengupta <sandeep.sengupta@...il.com>
To: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: Two biggest Indian University Websites are
	vulnerable

This is in reply to all those emails which were sent to me privately. I felt
another full-disclosure is needed to make few things clear. I do not have
time to write back to each one of the critics.

----------- My conversation with SMU (you will enjoy it) ---------------

1. Searched google & found their website. Went to contact us page & found
the phone number of Dean / Director.

2. Called 91-0820-4297000.

3. A lady picks up.
SMU: "Good afternoon, SMU"
Sandeep: "Good afternoon ma'am. I am not a student of SMU. I want to ..."
SMU: "Call the helpdesk" .. *hangs up*

Called 91-0820-4297000 again.
*Rinnnnnnnnnngggg*
SMU: "Good afternoon, SMU"
Sandeep: "Hello, do not hang up please. I want to report a problem about
your site. Your website can be hacked. I am NOT a student. I want to speak
to Dean or System Admin. I mean someone senior."
SMU: *raised voice* "I am just the receptionist. Call the helpdesk"

*transfers line to helpdesk*
*Rinnnnnnnnnngggg*
*Lady picks up*
Helpdesk: "Good afternoon, how can I help you"
Sandeep: "I think I can help you. Your site is prone to hack attack. I want
to talk to someone senior".
Helpdesk: "Sir, I don't think your information is correct"
Sandy: "Grrrrr .. see .. I am not student of yours. I am a senior security
professional working in this field for many years. If you want the
information, I can explain you, if you don't want, that's your choice."
Helpdesk: "You need to speak to the IT dept".
Sandy: "And what's the number?"
Helpdesk: "It is ... ". (i forgot now, wrote it on notepad)
Sandy: "Does this number belong to someone from SMU or is this a 3rd party
outsourcing company contact number?".
Helpdesk: "No, it belongs to SMU own IT dept in Bangalore".
Sandy: "Okay, fine, thanks."

Calls the IT Dept number.
*Rinnnnnnnnnngggg*
*Lady picks up*
IT Dept: "Good afternoon"
Sandy: "Good afternoon. Is this SMU IT Dept?"
IT Dept: "That's right".
Sandy: "Your website is prone to SQL injection attack. I want to talk to
system admin".
IT Dept: "regarding what?"
Sandy: "You have a website at portal.smude.edu.in. Right?"
IT Dept: "Yes".
Sandy: "That can be hacked. If you want to know more about it, please let me
talk to the system admin".
IT Dept: "Please hold".

*A guy answers*
Sys Admin: Hello, this is Sameer.
Sandy: Are you the system admin.
Sys: You may speak to me.
Sandy: Okay. Your website is prone to SQL Injection attack.
Sys: how?
Sandy: Go to portal.smude.edu.in. use any user name, like "sanjay". And then
use a SQL injection code. And you can see.
*silence*
Sandy: You know what is SQL Injection. Right?
Sys: Hmmm
Sandy: Send me your email id. I will send you step by step guidelines. 1000s
of students' confidential information is stake. You need to act fast.

*took the email id & sent to Dean, Sameer, Controller & all the SMU email
ids I can find.

Effect: Though they may not be that technically sound, they have tried their
bit by adding a new page "indexHomenew.asp", which somehow stopped the SQL
injection reported.

----------- My communication with Calcutta University ---------------

They are the elite university. They atleast had the courtesy to send an
acknowledgment after the telecon. Appreciated that. Here is the email they
have sent.