Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2010 18:49:27 +0200
From: "Stefan Kanthak" <stefan.kanthak@...go.de>
To: "Christian Sciberras" <uuf6429@...il.com>,
	"YGN Ethical Hacker Group" <lists@...g.net>
Cc: Mitja Kolsek <mitja.kolsek@...ossecurity.com>,
	full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk, bugtraq@...urityfocus.com,
	paul.szabo@...ney.edu.au
Subject: Re: KeePass version 2.12 <= Insecure DLL
	Hijacking Vulnerability (dwmapi.dll)

Christian Sciberras wrote:

> I can't take THAT seriously. At least not all of it.
>
> The part that interested me most:
>
>>  4. Should I find such vulnerability in many applications as I can?
>>
>>  You should not. It's just a waste of time and your energy. Focus on most popular application types/classes.
>
> If, say, DWM.dll is exploitable, why not point *that* out rather than
> point out the many applications that are using it (wrongly)?

ANY DLL is/may be exploitable when referenced without its (often
well-known) complete pathname.
It IS necessary to name all the applications with unqualified
references and to have them fixed by their authors/vendors.

And there are MANY places where DLLs or EXEs are referenced, not just
in binaries: the registry, DESKTOP.INI files (especially in the start
menu and %ProgramFiles%), batch files (do you reference CMD.EXE always
as %SystemRoot%\System32\CMD.EXE? No? It really doesn't hurt!), scripts
(including AUTORUN.INF.-), ...

Stefan