Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 02:09:38 -0700
From: Chris Evans <scarybeasts@...il.com>
To: Ryan Sears <rdsears@....edu>
Cc: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk, Mutiny <mutiny@...inbeardsucks.com>
Subject: Re: Filezilla's silent caching of user's
	credentials

On Thu, Oct 14, 2010 at 1:23 AM, Ryan Sears <rdsears@....edu> wrote:

> Ok. Granted I'm not talking about a 0-day in OpenSSH here, but this IS a
> real issue affecting REAL people.
>
> I'm not really sure *who* you're trying to take a jab with point 7 and
> beyond, but I know at least part of it is towards me.
>
> Filezilla's behavior is *wrong* and what I was doing was calling for a
> community push to actually get things changed. I was trying to state my
> point as clearly and concisely as I possibly could, because I feel with
> enough of a community backing we can actually convince botg to make minor
> tweaks to his source code, and come to some kind of compromise.

Turns out FileZilla is GPL'ed:
http://wiki.filezilla-project.org/FAQ#FileZilla_Client_FAQ
(No idea why I had thought otherwise until just now).

It seems like you are a fan of the software but feel passionately about the
password issue.

In this instance, the most productive way forward might be to submit a
patch. I'm sure the developers would be more receptive to an approach based
on "here's a nice new feature" rather than an approach based on "pitchforks
recruited from full-disclosure".

> Show me another widely-used, widely-accepted program that really does stuff
> like this. I haven't really encountered them (I could be mistaken though,
> and I'm fine with being corrected).
>
> I'm pretty sure you were trying to state that I was below you in some way,

No, and I apologize if it came across this way. Any rant can be traced back
to issues such as:

- The industry-wide overuse and misuse of the word "critical" when referring
to a security bug.
- People piling angrily into the thread despite the absence of any attempt
at a detailed threat analysis.

Cheers
Chris

and I very well may be. This is a community full of people with varying

Content of type "text/html" skipped