Date: Sun, 31 Oct 2010 19:44:49 +0100
From: Christian Sciberras <uuf6429@...il.com>
To: "lesh@...phere.org" <lesh@...phere.org>
Cc: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: Evilgrade 2.0 - the update explotation
 framework is back

> Christian, Vladis, are you the same person?

[sarcasm] Yes we are, it's a personality disorder issue. ;-) [/sarcasm]

> what are your motives?

What would one's be a motive to a discussion?

> do you really believe the things you are saying?

[sarcasm] No, I was just trying to sound cool going against most FD readers
out there. [/sarcasm]

> you seem to be just generally negative, jumping from point to point and
being very silly.

Negative? Is asking a change in the "standards saves us" religion, being
negative?
What seems silly to you might be sane and true to the rest of the world.
Oh and, maybe you're overly meditative to see several points in my
post....let me confess something....
there was only ONE point.

> there is a REAL attack vector that needs to be fixed, and you are saying
that it shouldn't be fixed as every
> line of code creates a POTENTIAL attack vector?

Remember stuxnet? and it's use of stolen certificates?

> a signing key might be stolen, so we shouldn't use it?

I've never said it's not.

> do you use passwords chris? why? they might be stolen?

Yes, I do. Ever heard of hacking/stealing an account?

> you can't possibly believe that?

Uhm, yes I do.

> I'm wondering what's going on?
> are you payed list-posters from an evil rival company? this is the only
idea I have.

Wow, so daft. Is someone on this damned list entitled to an opinion or a
fair discussion?
As to your theory, one question, which rival company (to those companies)?

I think that you're mostly confused as to what the point is. There are
places where code
should be signed and there are places where it shouldn't.
Evilgrade did reveal that some of these places aren't as they should, but
this does not
mean any and all sorts of updates should be signed.

The trade-of Valdis mentioned is one of my main deterrents to create such an
updating
system; why would I hand out the money for code signing when the ROI doesn't
even cover it??

One thing, you ought to think on; why aren't user-based sites ask for a PGP
signature?
Why do they use a simple password mechanism (if at all)?

PS: Keep up with the conspiracy theories, got to love 'em.

Cheers,
Chris.

Content of type "text/html" skipped