Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2010 15:47:51 +0000
From: "Thor (Hammer of God)" <thor@...merofgod.com>
To: Marsh Ray <marsh@...endedsubset.com>, Mike Vasquez <mike@...ihax.com>
Cc: "full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk" <full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk>
Subject: Re: Flaw in Microsoft Domain Account Caching
 Allows Local Workstation Admins to Temporarily Escalate Privileges and
 Login as Cached Domain Admin Accounts (2010-M$-002)

Hey Marsh - I think he meant LSA not SAM.  With the SAM, you can brute force the local accounts.  But with the LSA, you can get NTLM hashes for active users and attempt to use those.   You'll typically see those types of attacks against XP boxes or Win2000 where NTLM is still being used as the default authentication protocol.  Nowadays, in the enterprise anyway, network auth will be Kerberos, and if not, NTLMv2.

But yes, PTH is a different animal than what is being described my StenoPlasma.