Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2010 18:13:24 -0800
From: "StenoPlasma @ ExploitDevelopment" <StenoPlasma@...loitdevelopment.com>
To: "Thor (Hammer of God)" <thor@...merofgod.com>,
	"full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk" <full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk>
Subject: Re: Flaw in Microsoft Domain Account Caching
	Allows Local Workstation Admins to Temporarily Escalate
	Privileges and Login as Cached Domain Admin Accounts (2010-M$-002)

T,

My article describes how to use the SECURITY registry hive to trick the
Microsoft operating system in to performing an action that has a result
that is not intended by the software developer.  This action is performed
on the Active Directory logon account cache that regular local
administrators should not have access to.  There are always other ways of
doing things when it comes to this type of work.

Thank you,

StenoPlasma at ExploitDevelopment.com
www.ExploitDevelopment.com

Allows Local Workstation Admins to Temporarily Escalate Privileges and
Login as Cached Domain Admin Accounts (2010-M$-002)

> Why all the trouble?  Just change the log files directly when logged in
as the local admin.  It's a whole lot simpler, and you don't even need the
domain administrator to have interactively logged into your workstation.
Or is your point that local administrators are, um, local administrators?

Admin's
> >account once you log out of the modified cached account. This leads to
> >number of security issues that I will not attempt to identify in the
article. One
> >major issue is the lack of non-repudiation. Editing files and other
actions will
> >be completed as another user account. Event log entries for object
access will
> >only be created if administrators are auditing successful access to
files (This
> >will lead to enormous event log sizes).
> >
> >DETAILS:
> >Prerequisites to exploit:
> >
> >#1: The user has a "Domain User" account that has administrative
privileges on
> >his/her workstation (This is a common configuration for both small and
> >enterprise networks).
> >#2: The Microsoft Windows Active Directory domain has not disabled the
use
> >of Group Policy "Interactive logon: Number of previous logons to cache
(in
> >case domain controller is not available)". The default value for this
setting is
> >"10 logons".
> >#3: A domain/enterprise/schema/privileged administrator has logged in to
the
> >user's workstation at any time in the past (It would be very difficult
to not
> >have some type of admin from the domain login to a workstation for a
> >number of reasons).
> >
> >Use the following steps to exploit this vulnerability:
> >
> >Step 1: Log in to your workstation using your Active Directory domain
account.
> >This account only needs to have administrative access to your
workstation.
> >Step 2: Create an interactive scheduled task to run a minute after
creating it.
> >This scheduled task brings up a command prompt as the NT
Authority\SYSTEM
> >account on Windows XP, and 2003. 'at 11:24 /interactive cmd.exe'. If
using
> >Windows Vista, 7, or 2008 Server, the attacker can use the psexec tool
(psexec
> >-i -s cmd.exe).
> >Step 3: Once the SYSTEM command prompt comes up, open regedit from the
> >command line.
> >Step 4: Browse to 'HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SECURITY\Cache'
> >Step 5: The list of "NL$1-10" records contain the cached active
directory
> >domain account sessions. To identify which account is yours, perform
the
> >following steps. Take note of all NL$ entries and entry content. Change
your
> >domain account password. Leave the SYSTEM shell and regedit application
> >open. Log off the workstation, and then log back in to your domain
account.
> >Refresh the NL$ list. The NL$ line item that has been updated is your
domain
> >user's cached session.
> >Step 6: For this example, we will assume that your NL$ record is "NL$4"
> >Step 7: Double click on "NL$4". Take note of the four hex characters
that are
> >located in positions 1, 2, 3, and 4 on line 3 of the hex data.
> >Step 8: For this example, the hex characters are "5a 04". This number is
the
> >Active Directory octet string representation of your domain account's
> >objectSID (The user account unique section of your AD Security
Identifier).