Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 09:37:49 -0500
From: phil@...ea.net
To: "Jeremy SAINTOT" <jeremy.saintot@...il.com>
Cc: "full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk" <full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk>,
	"StenoPlasma@...loitdevelopment.com" <stenoplasma@...loitdevelopment.com>
Subject: Re: Flaw in Microsoft Domain Account Caching
 Allows Local Workstation Admins to Temporarily Escalate Privileges and
 Login as Cached Domain Admin Accounts (2010-M$-002)

If a bad guy got the local admin password, then the computer is in it's
control at 100%. No need to run script as a domain user, as the local
admin can already format the drive, or remove all security mesure.

The cached credential is a hash of a hash. (kinda long to crack)

Any good network admin would use a account that can only join a computer
in the domain, and use the local admin account to install software or a
helpdesk account that got local admin right.

The only case maybe that case is a security hole that I can think of, I
told maybe because I didn't tested it. It's if the computer got a local
mssql with mixed mode authentification. Does the trick permit the login to
the database if you installed it with a domain user, that is cached on the
computer? (But who care, as the local admin can just copy the data dir
anyway)

My .02 cent

-phil