Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2010 12:51:58 -0600
From: Marsh Ray <marsh@...endedsubset.com>
To: John Jester <watermonk@...out.com>
Cc: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: adobe.com important subdomain SQL injection
 again!

On 12/19/2010 09:32 PM, John Jester wrote:

> Sandboxing the plug-in from your system fixes it I believe. It's so
> futile sandboxing it was key.

OK, so if sandboxing works, then why not just let devs build x86/x64
code in the first place? In the same category as Native Client or ActiveX.

Maybe because sandboxing isn't going to work so well?

> And security, hell a multi-billion dollar company can't keep it from
> gobbling up 100% cpu in some instances. Huge note: over the years has
> been massive improvement in both performance and security.

I wonder how much of that is the game or app itself in a tight loop. CPU
is, after all, there to be used.

> It's not hopeless or futile, but come on, it's like the titanic.

Remember chapter 1 of the textbook when it said "The first rule of
security is never try to retrofit security, _ever_!!" and underlined it
three times?

Well see back in 1996 there were these really popular animation and
multimedia CD-ROM authoring packages and... the rest is history.

- Marsh