Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2011 07:35:24 -0800 (PST)
From: Aaron <apconole@...oo.com>
To: Nelson Brito <nbrito@...ure.org>, dailydave@...ts.immunitysec.com,
	bugtraq@...urityfocus.com, full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: [Dailydave] [TOOL RELEASE] T50 Sukhoi PAK FA
	Mixed Packet Injector v2.45r-H2HC

I don't see the "wow" factor from this tool? Perhaps I forgot to take my  "super
l33t" pills, but I fail to see how this is different from  something like
tcpreplay, which not only does any packet(s) desired, but  can pull them from an
existing packet capture (and even edit those  packets on the fly) allowing one
to truly customize the traffic as much  as possible. Additionally, I looked at
this tool hoping for some  "exciting" new code, but found nothing which people
writing router /  gateway software haven't known for years. In fact, you didn't
even do  intelligent checksum recalculation (ie: store a "base" checksum
somewhere, and just do some quick delta calculation on it), and you  didn't take
advantage of packet_mmap on linux (zero copy seems like good  juju for
high-speed network transmission); HECK you're running from a  single context of
execution, instead of trying to execute on all  available cores (which could add
some scalability, depending on the  architecture).

I don't want to sound like I'm a total negative nancy - and certainly  security
is a hobby domain, not my primary area of expertise, but you  posted this to a
publicly available forum, so I suppose you were looking  for some type of
vetting, criticism, and feedback. My feedback would be  to contribute to
tcpreplay. There's nothing that your tool offers as an  advantage (from a
cursory glance, your tool appears to be hping  --flood) to any available
options; there's nothing unique that I saw.

Additionally, my noscript caught a click-jacking attempt from your homepage when
I went to download the file. I might suggest a better file serving mechanism.

-Aaron