Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2011 13:39:29 -0500
From: Valdis.Kletnieks@...edu
To: phocean <0x90@...cean.net>
Cc: "full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk" <full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk>,
	Zach C <fxchip@...il.com>, lists@...com.org
Subject: Re: Getting Off the Patch

On Fri, 14 Jan 2011 19:22:53 +0100, phocean said:

> Second, companies using critical applications and serious about their
> users and environments don't care about the cost of a few more servers
> if ever it was required.

Unfortunately, when you're trying to scale, sometimes you hit a brick wall
(literally - part of my machine room is curtained off with dust-suppression
plastic sheeting because they're cutting through the wall).  Having to bring in
another 1.5 megawatt power feed because your first two are at capacity makes
you suddenly care a lot about the total cost. :)

Oh, and of course that means the cooling system needs to be checked and
possibly ugraded, and 1.5 megawatt backup diesels cost a fair chunk of change,
and, and,. and... ;)

(And yes, we already did the whole virtualization thing - otherwise we'd have been
up against the power wall several years ago).