Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 11:59:00 -0600
From: Paul Schmehl <pschmehl_lists@...rr.com>
To: bk <chort0@...il.com>, Emmanuel Apreko <eapreko@...il.com>
Cc: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: Path to IT Security

In order to get a CISSP you must have five years of direct full time
experience in two or more of the ten security domains.  So you would have
to get hired to work in security *before* you could even test for the
CISSP.  You can reduce the requirement by one year if you have a college
degree or a Masters in Information Security.

If you have no experience in IT at all, then you need to get a job in IT
and begin to understand TCP/IP and networking.  Until you understand those
well, you can't begin to understand operational security work.

If you have those under your belt already, then work to get hired by your
current company's security department as a first level security analyst.
Play around with open source tools at home so you're familiar with how they
work and what they do.  Read security blogs, subscribe to security lists
and pay attention.  Learn who's blowing smoke and who knows what they're
doing.

To pass the CISSP test you're going to need to have at least a basic
understanding of cryptography, security policies, risk management, business
continuity, disaster recovery, physical as well as virtual security and
operational controls.  But you've got at least five years plus to learn, so
hit the books and get as much hands on as you can.

--
Paul Schmehl, Senior Infosec Analyst