Date: Mon, 07 Feb 2011 14:51:04 -0500
From: "Elazar Broad" <elazar@...hmail.com>
To: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk, 0x90@...cean.net
Subject: Re: vswitches: physical networks obsolete?

We grappled with the same problem when setting up a virtual host in
order to mimic our production environment for training purposes.
Ultimately, we ended up purchasing a separate box for our DMZ host,
it is hard to trust separation in software(granted we are relying
on the firewall to do the very same thing, however, if you can't
trust your firewall to do what it was designed to do, then you have
bigger problem's than vSwitches) vs. a 10ft pole(physical
segregation). A vSwitch is essentially a like a single physical
switch, so...

Would you put your internal and DMZ networks on a single physical
switch, segregated via VLAN, relying on your FW to handle routing
and access control? Now (as you stated) add the fact that virtual
host owned = complete ownage whereas say owning a switch still
won't (necessarily) own the network(i.e IPSEC etc.), would you
still do it?

my .02

elazar