Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2011 12:21:02 +0000
From: "Cal Leeming [Simplicity Media Ltd]"
	<cal.leeming@...plicitymedialtd.co.uk>
To: CSIRTTAC <CSIRTTAC@...ta.com>
Cc: "full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk" <full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk>
Subject: Re: Best Buy and Privacy?

Yeah, this technique is employed by many local police forces, in which they
encourage the sharing of information between
agencies, and/or communites/businesses. This isn't something that's going to
get any easier, and it's certainly not going to be stopped.

As a general rule of the thumb, you should always apply the "chain effect"
to these scenarios. This basically means, if *anything* other than cash is
exchanged when dealing with a business, then you have absolutely no control
over what happens to this information, despite laws being in place to
'protect' it. Try to think like a fraud investigator, what tricks would you
use to trace the steps of a purchase?

Slightly off subject but, the same logic applies to cell phones. Even if you
go into a store in another city, purchase a SIM with cash from an over the
counter corner shop with little CCTV, that SIM can still be tied back to you
based on 'trends' in your local area. This is why I always laugh when people
make a concerted effort to make sure as little information about them ends
up in the public domain, because it's really all much of a muchness. If
someone wants to find info on you, they will find it, one way or another
lol.

As a good friend once quoted to me: "Total paranoid is total awareness".

</rant>

On Fri, Feb 4, 2011 at 7:31 PM, CSIRTTAC <CSIRTTAC@...ta.com> wrote:

> And the turnaround at Gamestop would be a much better investment anyway.
> Usually you can get at least 10-20% off or up to 15 bucks or so on a new
> game with your trade-in's there vice turning them into BestBuy.

Content of type "text/html" skipped