Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2011 19:03:58 +0000
From: "Thor (Hammer of God)" <thor@...merofgod.com>
To: decoder <decoder@...-hero.net>, "full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk"
	<full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk>
Subject: Re: Fwd:  HBGary Mirrors?

It would ultimately come down to "intent."  Technically of course, the encrypted file is not the original file.  Never will be.  Can't be.  They keys are not either.   Used together they can reproduce the copyright data.   So legally, there would certainly be an interesting argument about what is and what isn't legal.   But there would be plenty of cause for an injunction which would put the kibosh on distribution until that legal decision was made.  It doesn't have to make sense, and it doesn't have to be strictly "legal" but it is up to a judge.  Recall that 9th circuit judge Kermit (I believe) ruled against emails on an ISPs server being in scope for wiretap laws since, at the time the ISP was reading them, they were not "in transit."  Go figure.

If a judge ruled that you were purposely encrypting data and distributing keys to get around copyright laws, he could easily rule against you anyway.