Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2011 18:46:27 +0100
From: Pietro de Medici <piedemed@...il.com>
To: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: What the f*** is going on?

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2011/02/anonymous-speaks-the-inside-story-of-the-hbgary-hack.ars

Been reading the ...ah...umpteenth(?) article over the HBGary story.

Well, it's been fun and all, but seriously, this is getting tiring.

I don't want to bash Anonymous - they've got enough BS already, and we all
know about it, it ain't worth even mentioning.

Instead, I'll talk about the clueless idiots out there which run supposedly
informative articles.

So yeah, now we're calling kids vandalizing websites, causing worthless
damage, experts, geniuses even?

I mean, if these are the security industry's geniuses, why, what would the
writers of Stuxnet be?

Disclosing how their epic story simply involved SQLi, well, what about the
guys discovering 0days in native code?

Then there's the law aspect. Many seem to award people intruding and
damaging private property, exposing confidential data somewhat of a good
deed.
Yes, similar to punks expressing their artistic capabilities on your front
door and making off with anything they can pull off from your car, if not
with it as well.

When one views what kind of stuff they do, as well as their literacy level,
one can only conclude they're not far from the lowly term of "script
kiddies".

But let's leave the self-acclaimed victims aside - what about the media.
Surely naming kids as security gurus easily makes up a media sensation.
Wonder how much time these authors have until the FBI knocks by. Don't know
how many counts of infringements they did, and unlike the, uh, security
gurus, they pretty much left their ID card for every cop in town to look at.

Da sempre vostro,
Pietro DeMedici

Content of type "text/html" skipped