Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 09:51:18 -0700
From: bk <chort0@...il.com>
To: Valdis.Kletnieks@...edu,
	full-disclosure <full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk>
Subject: Re: Materials regarding Cyber-war

On Mar 14, 2011, at 8:19 AM, Valdis.Kletnieks@...edu wrote:

> On Sun, 13 Mar 2011 22:24:41 PDT, bk said:
>> On Mar 13, 2011, at 8:26 PM, leo.granda@...il.com wrote:
>>
>>> I think operation aurora, night dragon, stuxnet.....and others
>>
>> Aurora and Night Dragon are espionage, not warfare.  Stop conflating the issues.
>
> The point you missed is that almost all the examples we've seen so far have
> been closer to espionage than to actual warfare.

That was your point, but I wasn't replying to your message.

Despite that, I agree.  Espionage != War.  People hyping "cyberwar" are either trying to increase their sales, budget, or jurisdiction.

On the other hand, as you alluded to in your first post, electronic espionage is far more wide-spread than the public knows.  It's very likely that any company with strategic access to supply chain, intellectual property, or financial systems has already been breached, possibly by multiple nation-state sponsored actors.  This is not just Fortune 50 type companies.  Even small companies that are sub-contractor, or play a similarly small role in important industry sectors are at risk.  If you own 15 small mining interests, that's pretty valuable in aggregate.

TL;DR: It's not war.  It's not just China.  If you think they aren't after you, that just means they have free rein on your systems.

--
chort