Date: Mon, 28 Mar 2011 03:08:41 -0400 (EDT)
From: Ryan Sears <rdsears@....edu>
To: GomoR <rpt6@...or.org>
Cc: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: SSL Capable NetCat and more

Please, correct me if I'm wrong, but a stack overflow in the arguments for something like socat has a very very low impact (or probability of exploitation). The only way one can influence the program to do something is by overflowing the arguments, so unless it was used in a script or something of that sort in an automatic fashion, it's highly unlikely this will be weaponized.

Having said that, having automatic memory allocation/management through a lot of the modern day scripting languages is a definite plus.

I think he's looking at it like this, because this is what I was thinking when I first read about it:

(Rough outline of language abstraction layers)

+-----------------+
| High-level lang |
|  (Java, etc)    |
+-----------------+
        ||==> SCNC
+-------------------+
|  Mid-level lang.  |
| (perl,python,etc) |
        ||==> Socat, Ncat, Cryptcat
| Low-level lang. |
|  (C, ASM, etc)  |

Writing something in a lower-level language typically means increased speed and a lighter footprint. You can do these same sorts of connection relaying on a system that might not have perl installed in it. Granted, it isn't common to find a system without perl now-a-days, but if you need to install CPAN modules or something that's MORE of an overhead. That sort of thing starts to adds up, and if you can write a tiny little program to do the same thing (statically compiled for more portability) it's going to be better off.

I like the concept and the idea though, as it provides some good flexibility if the target won't notice a perl script getting run, but notices arbitrary executables or something of the sort.

Ryan Sears