Date: Wed, 06 Apr 2011 16:31:16 -0400
From: Valdis.Kletnieks@...edu
To: coderman <coderman@...il.com>
Cc: full-disclosure <full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk>
Subject: Re: ISC DHCP Client [3.0.x to 4.2.x] Arbitrary
	Command Execution (CVE-2011-0997)

On Wed, 06 Apr 2011 13:19:18 PDT, coderman said:
> On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 12:40 PM,  <Valdis.Kletnieks@...edu> wrote:
> > Otherwise if a valid dhcp server hands you foo.bar.baz.example.com your hostname
> > just became foobarbazexamplecom - whoops.

> a DHCP server should not reply with a FQDN as hostname.

Yeah. They shouldn't. Doesn't mean it doesn't manage to happen though.
Sometimes it's harder to defend yourself against the crap sent to you by legit
services than it is defending against a rogue server...

(Yes, I've seen more than 	misconfigured getup that was serving up a FQDN for
hostname and "" for domainname. You'd think hotels, coffeeshops, and the like
would have enough sense to contract out to competent providers rather than try
to do it themselves. ;)