Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 13:09:14 +0300
From: Tõnu Samuel <tonu@....ee>
To: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Barracuda backdoor

Hello!

We have alarming case with Barracuda products here.

Customer bought Barracuda hardware years ago and paid for it. No leasing
etc. Product is Barracuda Spam Firewall 800 which is $40k product.
Customer also paid for not-so-cheap annual subscription fees each year.

One day their Barracuda product stopped working.

After investigating problem it came out that Barracuda reseller and
Barracuda itself have some misunderstandings and because of this
Barracuda not only disabled all kind of subscription services but also
used some kind of backdoor in their products to disable product customer
had paid long time ago.

Message was shown "Error: Activation has not been completed. Please
activate your Barracuda Spam & Virus Firewall to enable functionality.
(Click here to activate)". Customer was blocked to make any changes in
admin interface of product. Even more irritating was fact that admin
wanted to see why some e-mails were lost and was denied even to see logs!

Notice - Barracuda have not just disabled some online services (which
were paid too) but they remotely disabled hardware product which does
not belong to them.

I think users should be warned for companies like Barracuda. As much I
understand this is also criminal violation to sabotage some other
company network resources.

   Tõnu